News & Views
We work hard to get our efforts noticed by the media and are so proud when this goal comes to fruition. A well informed community is an empowered one as well, so take a look at some of the latest coverage we’ve received below and help spread the word about all the amazing developments at Friends of Fountain Park (FoFP).
1. LRA has developed a Q&A flyer, that may answer questions you have about the LRA. For information about LRA and a list of properties, go to https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/sldc/real-estate/purchase-lra-property.cfm
2. Applications are being accepted for the 2019 University of Missouri – St. Louis Bridge Summer Academy Program. The Summer Academy will be held Monday through Friday, June 17 – July 12, from 7:45 am -12:00 pm daily for students currently enrolled in grades 9 and 10. The Summer Academy offers academic enrichment courses in mathematics, science, written and oral communication, career research, personal and professional development, college planning and ACT preparation. They invite all students who meet the admissions requirements to submit an application! While your student may not be eligible for the Summer Academy, it is their hope that you will share the information for the UMSL Bridge Program’s Summer Academy with any individuals who you believe would benefit from this college preparation program. If you or someone you know is interested, the application is available at their website www.umsl.edu/precollegiate or you may follow the link to applyhttps://apps.umsl.edu/webapps/ITS/bridge/bridge_application.cfm. For any additional questions, please contact them at 314.516.5196.
3. The Board of Aldermen is accepting applications for the City of St. Louis' Ward Reduction Committee. The role of the Ward Reduction Advisory Committee is to draft recommendations regarding the implementation of ward reduction. The essential question to be answered by this group is “What needs to change in order for a board of 14 aldermen to best serve their constituents and the city of St. Louis?” Applications are being accepted until March 29, 2019.
Complete online applications at:
Print applications: https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/aldermen/news/upload/advisory-committee-application-2.pdf. For more information go to: https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/aldermen/news/city-of-st-louis-ward-reduction-advisory-committee.cfm
4. Sponsorship opportunities available for the Hyde Park "Purpose for The Park" Fundraising Gala , Friday, May 24th at the 3rd Degree Glass Factory, 5200 Delmar, from 7:00 - 10:00 pm. Dinner, Silent Auction, Live Band and networking! Contact Angela Rnadrake@gmail.com. Individual tickets are $45 you can purchase online at http://hydeparkstlouis.org. See flyer attached.
5. You're invited to a Community Cleanup along the Hodiamont Tracks on Saturday, April 20 from 9am-noon! Meet at the Ruth Porter Mall Park playground (between Vernon Avenue and Cabanne Avenue). See Flyer attached. Help clean up the neighborhood by removing trash and debris from the historic Hodiamont Tracks. All supplies and safety equipment will be provided. Please bring your own water bottle to reduce waste. Dress for the weather in clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Sturdy, close-toed shoes are a must! Join us for complimentary coffee, hot chocolate, and bagels starting at 8:30am. Registration required at https://greatriversgreenway.org/event/community-cleanup-along-the-hodiamont-tracks-in-st-louis-city/
A flyer with additional information is attached. For questions or to register, call 314-932-4904.
6. The GoodVoice partnership with GatewayGIS and the Logo Design Challenge sponsoring a Logo Design Challenge for a new initiative called GatewayGIS. The challenge is open to all U.S. residents between March 1st and July 1, 2019 and there is $500 prize. This opportunity is a strong example of how GoodVoice aims to include youth/community voice at every stage of the creative process from conceptualizing an organization's identity to building processes and initiatives that work toward transforming the STL region.
Attached is a flyer with more information about GIS, GatewayGIS, and a link to the Logo Design Challenge submission guidelines and submission form. Please let Michael Pagano, Creative Director, at 314 488-7134, know if you have any questions and please share this opportunity with anyone that you think would be interested in participating.
7. The St. Louis Housing Authority (SLHA) Public Housing (PH) waiting list is open for specific developments. Please see attached flyer for details.
8. St. Louis Artworks is looking for a PT Office Manager, must know Quickbooks. Please see attached job description.
9. SLACO is marketing their Neighborhoods United for Change/Sisterhoods (#NU4Change) program. For the first #NU4Change held in 2016, SLACO joined with the Civil Rights Enforcement Agency of the City of St. Louis (CREA) and the City’s Neighborhood Stabilization Team to develop a two-part program that paired diverse neighborhoods for tours of each other’s neighborhoods followed by lunch and facilitator led conversation. Seven pairs of neighborhoods* planned and executed events together, with support from the three partners. After these kickoff events, SLACO, facilitators, and partners supported activities that broadened and built on the relationships developed between the paired neighborhoods. In the coming year, SLACO plans to enrich recurring activities among the pairs that will continue to engender seeing one’s own area through someone else’s eyes. They invite you to contribute financial support that will allow them to expand and enhance #NU4C2019. Your donation will help them reach their goal of raising $20,000 to allow pairing of 20 neighborhoods this spring and summer and reconvening last year’s pairs to continue their work together. Due to your financial support, SLACO does not charge any fee to participants in this program, and no one will be turned away. Donate online here: https://pages.donately.com/slaco-mo/campaign/nu4change-sisterhoods. Or send a check to: SLACO, 5888 Plymouth Ave., St. Louis MO 63112. Be sure to include your address, phone number, and e-mail address.
10. St. Louis Youth Jobs is accepting applications for Summer 2019. paid summer employment program includes a 1:1 career assessment, job readiness training, financial literacy training and access to a youth friendly checking/saving account, a paid work experience, and support from a job coach.
Who is Eligible?
✔ Youth between the ages of 16-24
✔ Resident of the Baden, Bevo Mill, Carr Square, Columbus Square, Dutchtown, Fairgrounds, Gravois Park, Greaterville, Kingsway East, Kingsway West, Mark Twain, Mark Twain I-70 Industrial, O’Fallon, Penrose, The Ville, Tower Grove East, Walnut Park East, Walnut Park West, and Wells Goodfellow neighborhoods of St. Louis City, as well as North St. Louis County (address verification is required)
Before starting your application, please ensure you have:
✔ TURNED 16 by the date you submit your application
✔ An ACTIVE email address that can receive and send emails
✔ Your CORRECT social security number
✔ Alien Registration Number (if it applies)
Ready to Apply? Click here to check your eligibility
11. If you have or know any high school seniors or college students that can use some money for college, they still have time to apply for a $500 scholarship at www.marquialewisfoundation.org. The deadline is March 31st.
12. Playtime Recreation offers FREE summer camps for children ages 7-15 teaching a variety of recreational interests. Camp topics include art, basketball, brain boost, cheerleading, circus arts, cooking, engineering, fishing, football, game design, golf, hip hop arts, karate, machine makers and machine lab (engineering), pickleball, photography, poetry, robotics, soccer, swimming, tennis, tree climbing and geocaching, theater, track, youth poetry slam and some brand new topics we think kids will enjoy. Registration for Summer 2019 opens April 1, 2019. As camp schedules begin to take shape in March, parents can view the tentative schedule by clicking Register for Summer Camp. This schedule is still subject to change but will be final by April 1.
Contact them at email@example.com for more information.
*There will be no Playtime Rec camp the week of July 1 - 5, 2019.
13. Playtime Recreation is also hiring for Summer Recreation Assistants. Must apply at https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/personnel/documents/downloadable-employment-application-form.cfm. Background checks will be conducted. They are looking for college students.
Local Non-Profit to Host 'Ground Zero' Event in Troubled Area
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 10 a.m. to 12 noon, FoFP will establish a Triage at the Open-Air Drug Market at Aubert & Suburban Tracks (799 Aubert). We will:
Provide Food, Clothing, Health services
Provide Intake services for those desiring to enter Rehab
Provide a steady presence in a troubled area to discourage further criminal activity
Ground Zero operations have a proven track record of high-level success.
Friends of Fountain Park (FoFP) ...
Here to Make a Difference!
FoFP's very first Operation: Ground Zero was a HUGE success! Several individuals stopped by and Better Family Life -- a community organization that has partnered with FoFP -- came to the rescue. A lot of goodwill, help and HOPE was displayed Wednesday,
July 18, 2018. And things can only take off from here! Will you be a part of it?